How to Start a Blog
Taking action to start your blog or website is very exciting! I’m going to walk you through the steps of getting started with BlueHost. I have a step by step process to walk you through so you can start your blog today.
Website #2, Are we there yet?
I next tried to design my own site with WIX. It had some wonderful templates and I was happy with it for a time, but as I grew, I needed to be able to utilize specific plugins to advance. I decided it was going to take time to work through a bit of a learning curve to make the huge gain of being self-sufficient in owning my own site in every way. I next chose to make the move to a WordPress site. WordPress is one of the most popular blogging platforms out there and has 59% of the market share at this time of writing this post.
With WordPress, I want to first note that there are two options for a blog:
1) Start by clicking here to go to Bluehost. Click the big green “Get Started Now” button.
2) To register your domain name with Bluehost, enter it under the “new domain” box and click “next.”
3) Enter all of your account and contact information.
4) Continue down to the “package information” section. You get the cheapest monthly rate by selecting 36 months. There is a money back guarantee. There are other services available on this screen. I do recommend the Domain Privacy Protection if you are using a home address for your site. You may not want your personal information available. In addition you will want to have back-up protection for your site, but there are a few different ways to go about this. I use the plug-in UpdraftPlus, which is free.
5) Enter your billing information, agree to the service agreements, and then click submit.
6) You can skip the upgrades. These could be added later if you need them.
7) Check your email for login info. You will have a welcome email from BlueHost. Congratulations! Next you need to create your password.
9) Now that your password has been created, you can log into your account for the first time! Make sure you’re logging into “hosting” and not “webmail.”
10) When your account opens for the first time, you’ll see a helpful little welcome message. Click I can do it.
11) Once you close that window, you’ll be in your account dashboard. You will get very familiar with this page. First, you need to install WordPress. Click the “install WordPress” button at the bottom of the screen.
12) On the WordPress Installation screen, click “Install.”
13) Click show advanced options. Then check the “I have read the terms and conditions.” Click “Install Now.”
14) Name your site (you can always change it later), create a username for the WordPress install, and create a WordPress login password. Click Install now.
15) Watch the little bar at the top of the next screen turn green to see that WordPress has been successfully installed.
16) Now check your email, and you should have something from Mojo Marketplace. It includes your website URL, your WordPress admin login URL, and your WordPress login username, so be sure to save it or bookmark it!
17) From the email in the previous step, click the Admin URL. It will take you to a site that looks like the one below. Enter your username.
18) To obtain your password, navigate back to your BlueHost and click the very bottom “view” to see your WordPress password.
19) This page shows everything you need to start using WordPress. You may want to copy and paste this so you have that as a quick reference.
20) Now that you have your password, you can log into WordPress and you’ll be presented with your WordPress dashboard. You can add your theme and get started customizing your site!
21) It is now time to add your theme. I use ThemeForest which offer a huge range of styles of themes and capabilities.